These pancakes are unbelievably light and fluffy and only 100 calories each. They are perfect if you are craving a little sweet something - an ideal dessert or for a relaxing Sunday morning breakfast. Try replacing half of the plain flour with wholemeal to increase the fibre content. Serve with your favourite fresh soft fruits. Blend extra fruit with artificial sweetener for a delicious coulis you can dribble over the top.
Calories Saved: 140 (compared to syrup pancakes with cream and fruit puree)
• 2 eggs, separated
• 5 tablespoons plain flour
• 120ml semi skimmed milk
• ¼ teaspoon baking powder
• Pinch salt
• Vanilla essence (optional)
• Cooking spray
• 200g of soft fruit of your choice
• Artificial sweetener and dusting of icing sugar to serve
1. Beat the egg whites until they are soft and fluffy, and form soft peaks.
2. In a separate bowl, beat together the egg yolks, milk and vanilla
3. Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder together and then add this to the egg yolk mixture. Mix well
4. Gently, fold in the egg whites.
5. Lightly coat a non-stick pan with cooking spray and gently heat. When the pan is hot, drop in the pancake mix and cook on both sides until lightly brown.
6. Serve your pancake with a sprinkling of artificial sweetener, fresh fruit/ fruit puree and a dollop of low fat crème fraiche or Greek yoghurt.
7. Finish with a dusting of icing sugar