Low in fat, and slowly cooked – yoghurt chicken makes a perfect dish for people looking for a creamy dish without the calories. Yoghurt makes sure it’s a great source of calcium for people who might need to ‘up’ their calcium intake too. For an even creamier version and less tang, try crème fraise instead
Calories Saved: 200 (compared to jarred chicken Korma portion 200g)
• 300g /12oz chicken breast, skinned , boned and sliced thinly
• 1 large onion, chopped finely
• 300ml/12 fl oz tomato juice or tomato puree with water added
• 1 glove garlic, crushed
• 2 teaspoons curry powder
• 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
• Ground black pepper to taste
• 200ml low fat natural yoghurt or crème frais
• Chopped coriander (optional)
1. Place the chicken into a casserole dish.
2. Mix all of the remaining ingredients together, except the yoghurt, and pour over the chicken.
3. Cover and leave to marinade in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
4. Heat the oven to 170ᵒC/325ᵒF/gas 4. Bake the chicken for about 45 minutes until cooked. Remove and allow to cool slightly before adding the yoghurt.
5. Sprinkle with a little coriander and serve with freshly cooked basmati rice or steamed mixed vegetables.